Sign our petition to request that LANL be protective of environment and health in northern New Mexico
We, the undersigned, request that the new draft Site-Wide Environmental Impact Statement for Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) include the following issues that are critical to evaluating the risk of continuing and expanded nuclear weapons programs at LANL:
- Evaluation of the weapons stewardship program that promotes maintenance of the nuclear weapons arsenal until such time that those weapons can be dismantled, rather than an aggressive program of preservation, improvements and new designs.
- Thoroughly incorporating the New Mexico Environment Department's Order on Consent, which requires LANL to investigate and clean up contaminated areas site-wide.
- Increased investigation of the effects of natural disaster on the LANL site, particularly wildfire, and a discussion of emergency preparedness in northern New Mexico.
- Analysis of LANL's Bio-Safety Level 3 Laboratory, which will handle live specimens of deadly pathogens, such as anthrax, tuberculosis, smallpox and plague, as opposed to an inadequate environmental assessment.
- Reduce or eliminate environmental emissions from every operating facility on-site.
- A discussion of alternative missions, through which LANL could use its significant scientific resources to clean up waste and contaminants caused by years of nuclear weapons research and production and radioactive waste storage and disposal that threatens the environmental health and safety of northern New Mexicans.
If you would like to help us to distribute this petition, please click here to download it and mail completed petitions to:
Peace Action New Mexico
226 Fiesta Street
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501
Thank you for your support!